What does Dynamic DNS do?
It gives a domain name (address) to a dynamic IP or static. The domain is automatically updated with every IP change of your device through a service called DynDNS.org. There are many dynamic DNS services, but this one is used by D-Link.
Why use a domain name instead of an IP?
The name is static and easier to remember.
Why use a dynamic DNS?
To host any kind of server and access the server easily.
How to use a dynamic DNS service on a D-Link router?
- Open a browser.
- Go to 192.168.0.1.
- Log in to your router (default user: admin, there is no default password, just click Log In). If you don't have a password go to Tools -- Admin -- under Admin Password type the new password -- Save Settings -- log in with the new password.
- Go to Tools -- Admin.
- Check Enable Dynamic DNS.
- Select a dynamic DNS server from the drop down list.
- If you already have an account for DynDNS.com, choose www.dyndns.com(Custom).
- If you don't have any account, choose www.dlinkddns.com.
- Go to dlinkddns.com.
- Create an account by pressing Get started!
- Choose a username, password, confirm password and type your e-mail, check I agree and click Create Account.
- Access your e-mail account and confirm your e-mail address.
- Now log in to your newly created account and create a hostname and copy the address from above the field.
- After you created a hostname, go back to your router page.
- Type yourhostname.dlinkddns.com as Host Name.
- Type your Username.
- Type your Password.
- Confirm you password.
- Click on Save Settings.
- Open a terminal / Command Prompt and ping yourhostname.dlinkddns.com. You should get the external IP of your router.
- Now to check the dynamic DNS you have to change your router external IP address. Go to Tools -- System and press Reboot The Device.
- Now ping yourhostname.dlinkddns.com and should show you your new IP address.
- To access the server you need to forward the port from Advanced -- Port Forwarding.